Monday, November 27

The necessity of a split personality

Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.
Psalm 43:5
It struck me, in reading the Psalms this morning how often David talks to himself. It is one thing to know the truth; yet when it comes to real life, it is another to actually live that truth out. Our need is not simply to learn more, read another book, explore another truth; it is to live the truth that we know. One of the ways that these truths will come to rest in our hearts and lives is to stop and truly examine our souls. Examining ourselves truly in this way will expose our hearts. And then, the exposed heart needs to be reminded of our Savior. I love the idea of preaching the gospel to ourselves daily, but in addition we need to be accurately assessing our soul. If I am struggling with fear or doubt, I want God's truth to illuminate that area. Unless I truly evaluate my soul it's easy to simply go through another exercise and not bring the truth to bear in the area of my struggle. So get the split personality going as we speak truth to ourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is to live the truth that we know...

This is where I usually fall short. I get going on a information get splurge and forget that I just need to act on what I know, not as exciting as learning new stuff. Something that has been helping me is to speak the truth out loud, instead of believing lies in my head. If I speak it out loud I can hear how dumb the lies are and so can others. But if it is truth then it is something that is awesome and changes the general direction I am going for the day.