Thursday, December 3

Jesus' example in the middle of the Greatest Trial

Psalm 22:22 - I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you.

I have been HUGELY encouraged by studying Hebrews the last few weeks. There is a verse in chapter two that talks of the immense privilege we are given as our Perfect High Priest becomes a Brother that fully identifies with our weakness.

He says,
"I will declare your name to my brothers;
in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises." Heb. 2:22

The footnote tells us that this is from Psalm 22.

Both Matthew 27 and Mark 15 tell us that in the midst of Jesus work on the cross he cried out "My God, My God why have you forsaken me." Jesus was not the first person to say this, He was actually quoting from the Psalm 22. Christ was thinking on this psalm. Hebrews 12:2 also tells us that he was looking past the cross toward another joy.

Hebrews 12:2 - "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame..."

Reading this Psalm with these thoughts in mind gives a new depth to experiencing the 22 Psalm, but even more importantly it gives an example for us to follow in trial. The Example to follow is that of Christ.

Look to God's Word, His promises, and a future joy. Even at the the darkest time, call out to Him.

Psalm 22 doesn't end in darkness. The darkness opens to beautiful light. I encourage you to read it and see one of the Scriptures in Jesus' mind on the Cross as He anticipated His completed work.

No comments: