Friday, April 21

Hebrews 10:26-29, 12:3-4 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? ...Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.
My sin was so great that the majestic, holy, awesome Creator and King sacrificed His life in payment for them. Jesus' death for sin shows how seriously God views sin. How serious am I about my sin? I am to put on the same attitude that God has about my sin. When I treat sin (however small) lightly by ignoring or justifying it, I am spurning His death. A scary place to be!
In our fight against sin, we are to imitate the Savior who fought to the point of shedding his blood. I must fight against sin with all my might; but not by my own strength, rather, it is through His gracious power. How different would my life be if I passionately pursued holiness? Considering the magnitude of the death of Christ for sin gives me power to fight against sin in my daily life. It pushes me forward when I want to coast and just allow for a little bit of "me" time. This attitude is not optional from a biblical perspective. Jesus' faithful endurance in the fight against sin is a source of encouragement in my fight against sin. I, too, am to fight to the death against my sin.

No comments: