Monday, October 30

Grace found!

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor 12:7-10)

Well every journey has twists and turns. Imagine you're driving along a familiar road, but are driving a new section in it; you knew where it started and know where it ends. Suddenly a sharp turn appears that makes you wonder if you're on the right road. So it is with this past week for me. In keeping with the spirit of this blog, I am sharing a little bit more of my journey - including the twists and turns. Yesterday I had a grand mal seizure, now this is nothing new and suprising to me, but part of my history. Almost ten years ago I had a tumor removed, seven years later it grew back and was removed a second time. In both cases seizure activity were symptomatic of the tumor. God in his goodness allowed the tumor to be successfully removed again the second time. Doctors have said that the possibility of regrowth is remote. After healing from this second surgery, I had been seizure free for a couple of years. Until I physically ran myself into the ground and had a seizure this past August. The neurologist chalked it up to sleep deprevation. Then yesterday another one hit, for no apparent reason.

My trials are very, very small when compared with what many other people are walking through. However, they are some of the circumstances and events that God has chosen in my spiritual formation. So this posting is meant to be a little introspection about this past event and a way to share what God is teaching me through it.

In talking with a guy here at church, I was sharing my struggle with fear over this issue, he encouraged me to look to God's word for a verse to stand on. The above verses are my platform. The reason I boast in my seizures is that it gives me a reliance on God that I would not have. And this draws me closer to Him. Self reliance so easily creeps into my life and this is a constant reminder of the fact that I am not in control. May my weakness accentuate the greatness of God as I continue to find his grace at work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I've enjoyed reading your blog and hearing about what God is showing you. It's in my Google Reader! I've looked through your links and found the T4G blog which i enjoy reading. Anyways, I read this last post and had to finally comment (I'm a closet blog reader). :)

You provide us encouragement in the midst of something that can easily be seen as discouraging. Its so great to see devoted followers living in deep faith and reliance upon a God who is in control. You demonstrate that to us. Know that Erin and I will continue to pray that God will always be your source of strength and constancy on the winding journey.

In Him,
Kevin

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I've also been reading your blog. This is a cool post in the sense of seeing a person's trials as being watched over and ordained by God. I'll be praying for you and your family!

Thanks again for such an awesome weekend in DC.

God bless!
Ethan