Saturday, January 13

Resolutions

Ok, finally got around to compiling some of my own thoughts... I pulled from JE's format because I liked the force of conviction with which he listed his resolutions. I know that these are not something to be kept perfectly, but hope that by God's grace they will form a reminder to me on a consistent basis of what my life is about. This week God had to grapple with my heart as He revealed to me my lack of true dedication to Him. I realized Lewis' quote in The Weight of Glory described me when he said:

We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.
I tend to fool around with tv, computers, reading, fun, etc... when infinite and eternal joy is offered. It is to be found in life lived to God's glory. If you don't get what I mean, go read Desiring God.

So, here they are...

Relying solely on the righteousness of Jesus Christ who by his life and death has become my justification and sanctification, I do purpose the following:

  1. Resolved, that my life would be about pursuing God’s glory and not my own.
  2. Resolved, to place value on and pursue only activities which bring God glory.
  3. Resolved, to see myself as I truly am – a beggar before God – and to live as if this were true in my interactions with others.
  4. Resolved, to never live lackadaisically, but to live with all my might.
  5. Resolved, to make the Gospel my meta-narrative.
  6. Resolved, to love my wife and give up myself as Christ did for the church.
  7. Resolved, to never accept lazy spirituality.
  8. Resolved, to always place others above myself and to regard myself as nothing.
  9. Resolved; to lead my wife, family, and in any other sphere God may place before me.
  10. Resolved; to repent from my failures, plead the righteousness of Christ, and make reconciliation with those I hurt.

No comments: