Wednesday, January 17

Reflections on Resolutions (Day 3)

Well, just wanted to write down what is running through my head three days after writing those hard core resolutions down! I'd love to say that I'm now a different person, but guess what? The same sinner woke up the next morning! I do have a couple of high level observations, though.

Convictions unstated are rarely lived out.
When we don't write our or state our convictions, it is very easy for them to disappear. There was something in the writing down and "publishing" of those resolutions that I can look back to and remember. By reading them again, my dedication is renewed. It reminds me that, "Yes, that's the way I want to live."

Resolutions help us evaluate how we spend our time.
It may sound a little overboard, but as I check my activities against these resolutions, I have been more efficient and intentional with my time.

Resolutions should be generic enough to have room for added depth.
What does living life pursuing God's glory look like? Can this include watching football? Does God delight in acts we might classify as common grace? If so, to what degree should they be pursued? If the resolutions have too much detail they would cease to have effectivity as my life changes. Keeping them generic will help them have continuing effect down the road.

Resolutions must be Biblical.
It can be easy to make resolutions without firmly grounding them in the Word. One of my future endeavors is to take each point and back it with God's Word. Otherwise, I am drifting in a sea of Matt's thought. Scary!

Now the real question - have I kept them? Maybe you've missed my drift - NO! The point is not to keep them perfectly but to give guidance.

May God give more grace!

1 comment:

Heather said...

matt, thanks for your blog! i've only visited a few times, but never fail to be provoked, spurred on and encouraged to love my
Savior more.