Thursday, February 15

Resolution One

Resolved, that my life would be about finding my joy in going after God's glory and not my own.
Our lives need purpose. A life without purpose is an empty one. For the the Christian, our purpose must be both based on and found in God. This resolution states my intent of basing my life on God and living for His glory.
Originally, I wrote "Resolved, that my life would be about pursuing God's glory and not my own." As I reflected on it, something seemed to be lacking. God's glory is, of course, the chief end of man according to the Westminster Shorter Catechism. But I realized that I had left out the other side of the coin; that which John Piper so vividly illustrates in Desiring God. It was Blaise Pascal who wrote:

All men seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in both, attended with different views. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves.

Pascal is saying that happiness (or the pursuit of it) is at the very core of a person. And Piper's driving point is that God has designed us to find our ultimate joy and happiness in the pursuit of God's glory. If (as a person) I cannot help but pursue joy; then I am deciding to pursue joy in God, for it is only here that true joy may be found. This is easy to say, but not so easy to live. But it provides a foundation for the rest of the resolutions and is my overarching theme.

By way of scriptural backing, Romans 11:36 is a great place to start, "For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen." The scripture that explicitly says this best is probably Revelation 4:11...
You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.

No comments: