Thursday, March 9

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

I read a definition of theology that I really liked. "Theology is faith seeking understanding." I like this for a few reasons. First, it is grounded in faith. There have been many "theologians" who have no true faith in God. Under this definition, they may be psychologists, but not theologians. Theology must begin in and flow from our faith. If our theology is merely based on facts, it becomes stale; theology based on faith is alive and must find practical expression. Second, the definition emphasizes the ongoing nature of theology. To arrive at an end point in theology is to arrive at a completed understanding of our faith, including it’s object – God. Of course this is impossible! Our theology must always be being refined by the Word of God, the Spirit of God, and lastly our experience of the Word and the Spirit (in subjection to the first two). Finally, the definition is simple. It’s easy one to remember.

As the verse in Hebrews emphasizes, faith is being sure of our hope. Blending this verse and the above definition, hope becomes an orientation for theology. What do you hope for? My hope is often misplaced. My hope must always be looking forward to that day when the consumation of all things occurs. Revelation gives us this:

Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth," for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Look! God's dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

What would it mean for me to orient myself around this? Well for starters it puts a correct perspective on life. Theology must be practical, if it is not, it is of no benefit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about what you mean when you say that theology must be practical. If what you mean by practical is that our theology should be lived out and believed, then I would agree. On the other hand, if we look at the definition of the word practical ... of, relating to, governed by, or acquired through practice or action, rather than theory, speculation, or ideals ... I would say that as fallen creatures we cannot help but resign ourselves to the fact that our imperfect understanding will always have an impractical (theoretical) nature to it. This shouldn't discourage us from striving after the truth, but it does help maintain a sense of humility and prevent us from ever having the impression that we have somehow "arrived".

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. 1 Cor. 13:12 (ESV)

...Just thought I would be the first person to write a comment on your blog and make it sound like I was some kind of deep thinker :) We sure miss you guys! Your Brother in Christ, Phil

Matt said...

I guess I was going for the lived out aspect. A personal weakness of mine is to know and not do. I want to grow in bringing theology to bear in my life through practical application.
For instance, what does the atonement of Christ actually mean to me today. The temptation is to make it an abstract doctrine that doesn't really change anything. In this sense, theology has no value because it is divorced from application. This is one thing in specific that I need to grow in.

Thanks for your comment! Miss you guys a lot.

The definition I was shooting for:
capable of being put to use or account: USEFUL (i.e. he had a practical knowledge of French)