Monday, March 20

Phil. 4:19 And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
What are needs? So often I make my wants, my needs. God has promised to provide abundantly for us as his children. Our deepest needs are not physical. Yes, God will provide our physical needs (see Matthew 6:25-34), but here he speaks of providing our needs "according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Perhaps this refers to my daily needs, but it also speaks to my spiritual needs. The riches I have in Christ are far beyond any riches we can gain on earth. They are not worth comparison. It is my tendency to focus on the temporal rather than the eternal. There are very few things that will last forever. Relationships may be one of the things that we will last into eternity future. Even if they do, all relationships are secondary to the primary relationship (with God). All other relationships exist because of that one. In this sense, the relationship I have with God on this side of eternity is the only thing I will carry past the grave. My primary business, then, must be this relationship. All other relationships and life events (the things I enjoy or suffer through) must all be held in light of my eternal relationship with my Father in Heaven, through His Son, made real today in my life by the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: